Wednesday, November 27, 2013

#68 Pumpkin Puree

Happy Thanksgiving!!! I love the autumn season so much. And if I had to give a reason why, it would be because I love pumpkins!!! I love gourds!! I love squash!! I love to grow them, decorate with them and (in the case of pumpkins) bake with them! And pumpkin spice is my all-time favorite smell!!!  Below is a picture of some of the beauties from the Cucurbitales order that I grew this year!


To make all the delicious pumpkin desserts you will need pumpkin puree. It is mighty easy to get it at the grocery store in the can, but if you grow pie pumpkins like I do....it's fun to actually bake a pumpkin pie from the fruits of the garden! Here's how!

Pumpkin Puree

All you need is pie pumpkins....make sure you are using the pie variety, because the jack-o-lantern pumpkins are not the same!


First you will need to cut them in half and scoop out the seeds. Then slice up the pumpkin into wedges and cut the rind from the "meat" of the pumpkin.


Add your pumpkin meats to a steamer basket over boiling water.


Cover and steam until they are soft when poked with a fork. About 25- 30 minutes.


Add the soft pumpkin to your food processor and process just until smooth.


Then add your puree to freezer bags in one and two cup portions, depending on what your favorite recipes call for. Label your bags.

That's it! Now use your puree to make yummy pumpkin recipes. Martha Stewart's is my favorite pumpkin pie recipe. Below are a couple pies I made a few years ago. Which I might add was also when the pictures above were taken....pre-kitchen remodel.

 
This year I was not asked to make pumpkin pie...so I made blueberry instead!

 
Yummmy!! I can't wait to eat a small slice of this tomorrow......along with a small slice of the French Silk pie that I also made today. I will blog that one next!

No comments:

Post a Comment